Dear Mama Tenza,
Last month I had my regular cycle (period) but I’m worried something is wrong with me. I thought my period started but what I saw was dark brown, kinda black YUK! Then my period came. This month it’s the same thing. Now I’m scared something may be wrong with my lady parts. I’m not feeling pain, I just started going to the gym and I feel great, so what’s this now?
– Yukky Yanik
Oh, Putus, before you worry yourself sick, let me tell you what that could be:
- Old blood from your previous period– Your body may be flushing the ‘old blood’ from the walls of your uterus. This is completely natural.
- Ovulation– During ovulation (a process in which your body empties your ovaries and makes eggs for reproductive purposes) your blood may darken in colour due to higher levels of iron being present in your body. No need to worry about that either!
This is what you can do to flush your body and make it ‘un-yukky’.
- Drink lots of water, at least 2 litres per day- I can never stop stressing the importance of drinking water. It is the single purest liquid that rids toxins from our bodies.
- Turmeric tea with soy/almond/coconut milk- This is a great tonic and toxin flusher. Consume one cup nightly and enjoy the way it makes you feel the following day. It is also great for your skin!
- Beetroot, carrot, tomato and pumpkin juices are also good blood straighteners.
- Some bacteria are also good for us, these are called ‘good bacteria’- One such example is Acidophilus found in most probiotic capsules and Active Culture Yogurt. It is very good for the vaginal health as it maintains the pH balance of the vagina. Garlic is also very rich in antibiotic properties which contribute to the health of the vaginal walls.
- Washing the vagina with warm water and baking soda or apple cider vinegar also promotes great health for the area.
If you are feeling pains, missing your period or experiencing clots during your period, I suggest you visit a gynaecologist with a naturopathic background. Otherwise Putus, be happy and live well!